What is PBIS?
PBIS stands for Positive Behavior Intervention and Supports. PBS is an evidence-based, tiered framework for supporting students’ behavioral, academic, social, emotional, and mental health.
- Define and layout clear attainable expectations for students
- Acknowledgment of good behavior
- Continual data collection and fine-tuning of procedures
- Be transparent, so all stakeholders are included
We believe that all foundations for success start in the classroom. Students that have provided clear expectations and skills to be better stewards of excellence will be better equipped for success. Vanden High School teachers support these efforts via clear classroom expectations and communication with students and parents.
When a student’s problem behavior is unresponsive to preventive school-wide and classroom-wide procedures, information about the student’s behavior is used to:
- understand why the problem behavior is occurring (function);
- strengthen more acceptable alternative behaviors (social skills);
- remove antecedents and consequences that trigger and maintain problem behavior, respectively
- add antecedents and consequences that trigger and maintain acceptable alternative behaviors.