The Rule of 85 requires that students be in class and on time 85% of the time, calculated by school periods, in order to participate in many of the extra activities at VHS including athletics, band, drama, cheer, JROTC, dances, field trips etc. Administration will check for eligibility every grading period and prior to extracurricular events (i.e. prom, field trips). Ineligible students will be notified. The Rule of 85 Policy details can be found on Vanden’s website.
Per CIF regulations and board policy, in order to participate in athletics a student must demonstrate satisfactory educational progress in meeting the requirements for graduation. In addition, the academic standard for the student is a GPA of 2.0 or above. Any student who earns a GPA that falls below a 2.0 at the quarter/semester will be ineligible. Any ineligibility from extra or co-curricular activities shall be effective on Monday of the week after grades are posted.
Students who are involved in extracurricular functions that require physical activity (Athletics, Marching Band, Color Guard, Cheer, etc) must dress out and participate in their Physical Education class to be eligible to participate in that day’s after-school activity. Students who are injured, not dressed out for PE, or are too ill for Physical Education class, may not participate in any after-school physical activity on that day.
If a student falls below the established academic standard (2.0), he/she may opt to use probation under the following conditions:
- A student cannot have more than one D, or one F to access probation.
- A student can access a maximum of two probation periods during their high school years (9th, 10th, 11th, or 12th grades). A student can access their second probationary period if they have successfully completed their first probationary period.
- After 5 weeks on probation, the student’s grades will be reviewed. If they do not meet eligibility requirements at this time (grades are not C or better), they will be ineligible.
- The probationary periods cannot be used in back-to-back grading periods.
- A student that was unsuccessful in completing the criteria of their Academic Eligibility Plan must wait out five (5) quarters to access the second probation.
- Incomplete grades must be changed to a letter grade before the student can be declared eligible.