Children cannot learn if they are not in school. California schools no longer receive average daily attendance funding for students who are absent, regardless if the absence is excused or unexcused. It is essential that your child attend school whenever possible, for part of a day after or before appointments. State attendance requirements, however, still rely on excused and unexcused tallies. It is important to remember that parents/guardians have three days to excuse an absence.
When students who have been absent return to school, they shall present a satisfactory explanation verifying the reason for the absence within 3 days of returning to school. After 3 days, the absence will be considered unexcused. The following methods may be used to verify student absences:
1. Written note from parent/ guardian
2. Telephone call from parent/guardian - The telephone number for contacting the attendance clerk is 437-4621 extension 2100.
3. Email to Lisa Ulery, Center School Clerk ~ email@example.com
4. Visit to the student’s home (District’s discretion)
5. Physician’s verification (Required after 10th day of absence during the school year)If you receive a call from the school indicating that your child is truant and was recently absent, please call the school to clear the absence. This call goes out for every unresolved absence. Please do not ignore the message; it means your child does indeed have an unexcused absence in the attendance system. Many times, this is simply because your child forgot to turn in your written note.