- For your Book Talk, you will give one 3-minute presentation on one of your recent SSR books. The purpose of a book talk is to convince the listener to read the book you are recommending using the rhetorical appeals you learned about in Unit 2 (Ethos, Pathos and Logos). This book talk is a persuasive speech to convince the listener that they should read a specific book.
- The book talk will cover some elements of the novel, but you should focus much of your time on the plot, themes and conflict in the novel. NO SPOILERS!!!
- Your presentation must include a visual aid, such as an illustration or original book cover, poster, PowerPoint, or a Prezi presentation (additional presentation ideas are available on my page on the Golden West website).
- Regardless of your visual type - whether it is a Powerpoint, poster or any other art piece - you will always submit your speech on a separate piece of paper!!!
Choose a brief two – three sentence quote from your book to establish the mood of the story. For example, if it’s a silly, funny book, choose a short passage that you think is the funniest (even for people who haven’t read it yet). For non-fiction books, choose an interesting fact or section from the book to share.
Clearly introduce your book by giving the title, author and genre of the book.
- Describe the setting, characters, and plot of the book without giving too much
- What is the main conflict?
- What themes are developed? Please use precise and descriptive language.
- What is the general mood of the story? Describe the author’s word choices.
- Don’t just give a list of characters.
- Don’t over-summarize. (Hint—you are doing this if you find yourself saying “and” too much.) (This is also a huge red flag that you are reading a summary and didn’t actually read the book)
Without giving away the ending, convince the reader that you loved this book and that this is the book they want to read next. Make some predictions about what kind of student would enjoy this book (“if you like…, you’ll love…”).
Sample Speech (Coming Soon)