A successful expository/summary accomplishes the following:
- States the main idea (thesis) of each paragraph in student’s own words. (paraphrase)
- Put author’s words in quotes
- States essential details in student’s own words. (paraphrase)
- Uses effective (works, makes sense, logical) transitions
- Stays in order (has introduction and conclusion)
- Is shorter than the original
- Opening topic sentence should be a clear statement of the main idea of the original selection
- Add essential facts and details such as names, explanations, descriptions, dates, or places
- End your expository/summary with a concluding sentence which ties the ideas together
Expository/Summary “Recipe” on Non-Fiction
- Interesting fact as a hook
- Main idea clearly stated (thesis)
- Important facts that explain main idea
- Important facts in proper sequence (beginning/ middle/ end)
- Use your own words- paraphrase
- Facts only, no opinion
- Vary length of sentences
- Conclusion sentence summarizing article
- Use transition words and phrases
- Use on quote
Expository/Summary recipe for fictional story
- Include setting, major characters, events, outcome
- Pick 1-2 significant events from the beginning
- Pick 1-2 significant events from the middle
- Pick 1-2 significant events from the end
- Use transitional words and phrases such as because, later, however (to show relationships)
- Conclude with a statement about what is learned from the story events
Expository/Summary Writing Checklist
- Read carefully to understand the main ideas of the passage?
- Write your topic (opening) sentence as a clear statement of the main idea of the original text?
- Select the most important details to support the main idea?
- State each important idea in clear sentences?
- Use one quote from the author?
- Combine ideas and simplify the language by putting it in your own words?
- Arrange your ideas in the most logical order?
- Use a concluding or ending sentence which ties your points together?
- Reread your expository/summary to make sure you have only the main ideas or concepts?
- Reread your expository/summary to remove repetitions or less important information?
- Edit for correct punctuation, capitalization and spelling?