Learn about Literature
1. genre- different forms of literature
2. prose- organized in sentences and paragraphs (fiction and nonfiction)
3. poetry- uses rhythms and is organized in lines called stanzas
4. novels- long works of fiction (uses characters, plot, setting, etc…)
5. novella- a shorter novel
6. short story- brief work that conveys a message about life using imaginary characters.
7. Nonfiction- is literature about real-life events or the world of ideas. Nonfiction can inform, persuade, or entertain.
8. poetry- (continued from 3)-literature written in verse form. May have regular rhythms and rhymes.
9. Drama- written in prose or poetry; tells a story through the words and actions of actors…includes dialogues and stage directions.
10. Folk literature- including myths, folk tales, and legends- shaped by a group or culture over many years before being written down.
“When the legend becomes the truth, print the legend”11. Anecdote- brief story about an interesting, amusing, or strange event.