State Priority 3: Parent Engagement
At the October 9, 2018 Board meeting, staff reported progress on parent engagement.
2017-18 report on Local Indicator 3: Parent Engagement
2016-17 report on Local Indicator 3: Parent Engagement
Parent input into decision-making
We seek input from parents and guardians in the following ways:
- Superintendent’s Parent Advisory Group (including military parents) meets four times per year
- Parent and Community LCAP consultation meetings twice a year
- District English Learner Advisory Committee (DELAC) meets four times per year
- English Learner Advisory Committees meet four times per year at schools
- Foster Parents meet four times per year with district staff and community resources
- SELPA Community Advisory Committee meets monthly to advise the Solano County SELPA
- School Site Councils meet three to six times per year at each school, depending on need
- School Safety Committees meet two to four times per year at each school to revise safety plan
- PTA and PTO Boards meet monthly and provide principals with input
We provide the following parent training:
- Foster Kinship Care Education Program open to caregivers of children and youth in out-of-home care; designed to meet foster children’s educational, emotional, behavioral, and developmental needs.
- Loving Solutions: Concrete Solutions for Tough Kids (elementary school students), and Parent Project (teens) in both English and Spanish, sponsored by the Vacaville Police Department, Solano Community College Foster Kinship Care Education Program, Solano County Board of Supervisors, First 5 Solano, Vacaville Unified School District, and Travis Unified School District.
- Math Nights at elementary and middle schools, where parents learn about our approach to math instruction and get support for helping their children at home.
- SELPA Parent Training How to Be Your Child’s Best Advocate, information about Special Education services, and a session by an expert on dyslexia from Solano County SELPA.
- Watch D.O.G.S. training evenings are held several times per year.
During the 2017-18 school year, 794 volunteers contributed 17,093 hours. We are grateful to our volunteers: without them, we could not provide the rich experiences our students enjoy. Please check out the report at the link above for details.