Make sure you look at the new homework notes before you do this unit- see notes on Meaningful Sentences con't and notes on subordinating conjunctions. These will all be complex sentences. Don't forget to circle the subordinating conjunction.
Spelling and Vocabulary for Unit #19- The Beast Part 2
1. MW irony- The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning.
2. euphemism- an inoffensive expression that is substituted for one that is considered offensive
3. MW hyperbole- an over exaggeration
4. MW rhyme- a word that corresponds with another in the same sound
5. beat- tempo; rhythm
6. meter- measuring device in poetry
7. montage- conglomerate; hodgepodge
8. sonnet- a fourteen-line lyric poem with a single theme
9. limerick- humorous, rhyming five-line poem
10. MW prose- ordinary form of written language
11. haiku- three-line Japanese verse form
12. couplet-two consecutive lines of verse with end rhymes.
13. refrain- regularly repeated line in a poem or song
14. camaraderie- friendship
15. MW homophone- words that are alike but are spelled differently and have different meanings.
16. MW antonym- a word that means the opposite of another
17. MW synonym- different words that mean the same thing
18. MW assonance- The repeating of the beginning vowel sounds
19. perpendicular- at a ninety degree angle
20. interjection- exclamation; outburst