What is TRUANCY?
Students absent without a valid excuse for more than 21 periods(equal to 3 full school days) in one school year shall be classified as truant and a truancy letter will be sent home. After the first truancy, a student will receive an additional truancy letter for each additional 7 periods of absence. If a student receives 3 truancy letters, he/she is referred to the Student Attendance Review Board (SARB) for appropriate legal action.
My student has in Inter/Intra-district Agreement, what does this mean for me?Inter/Intra-district Agreements may be revoked if standard attendance guidelines are not maintained. At this SARB hearing, students will enter into a SARB contract.Reasons why my student could be or is truant...
When will my student receive a letter of truancy?
- Family Vacations or if a student on Independent Study failed to complete all school work before returning to school
- Family Emergencies or Personal time off
- Unexpected issues; for instance family member delays for any reason(s), flat tire, car troubles, missed the bus, no transportation to school, etc.
- Failing to communicate with attendance office when my student has been absent due to an excusable reason within the 3 day time frame.
- To attend graduations, retirement ceremonies, weddings, or any other non-excusable events, please contact attendance office for more details.
What should I expect?
First 21 periods:
Truancy Letter #1
Truancy Letter #2
Another 7 periods:
Truancy Letter #3Referral to SARB forCorrective Action