METHOD OF ABSENCE VERIFICATIONWhen a student returns to school after an absence, he/she MUST present a satisfactory explanation verifying the reason for the absence within 2 days. After 2 days w/out verification of an excused reason, the absence will be considered unexcused and the student will be considered truant. The following may be used to verify absences:
1. Written note from parent/guardian, parent representative, or student if 18 or older. (EC46012)
2. Conversation, in person or by telephone, between the verifying employee and the student's parent/guardian or parent representative. The employee shall subsequently record the following:
a. Name of student
b. Name of parent/guardian or parent representative
c. Name of verifying employee
d. Date(s) of absence and reason for absence
3. Visit to the student's home by the verifying employee, or any other reasonable method which establishes the fact that the student was absent for the reasons stated. A written recording shall be made, including information outlined above.4. Physician's verification
a. When excusing students for confidential medical services or verifying such appointments, district staff shall not ask the purpose of such appointments but may contact a medical office to confirm the time of the appointment.
b. When a student has had 10 absences in the school year for illness verified by methods listed in #1-3 above, any further absences for illness must be verified by a physician.
5. Any other reasonable method that establishes the fact that the student was actually absent for the reasons stated. A written record shall be made, including information outlined above.
6. Vanden High School does not accept faxes or e-mails for verification of absences.
When a student arrives to school 10 or more minutes late, whether it is excused or not, he/she must report to the Attendance Office before going to class to have his/her arrival time documented. Absences and tardies not cleared within two days will be considered unexcused.