In order to participate in athletics, a student/athlete must demonstrate satisfactory educational progress in meeting the requirements for graduation. In addition, the academic standard for the student/athlete is a GPA of 2.0 or above. Any student/athlete who earns a GPA that falls below a 2.0 at the quarter/semester will be declared ineligible.
If a student/athlete falls below this academic standard (2.0 and no F’s), he/she may opt to use probation under the following conditions:
1. The student has a 2.0 GPA or better.
2. The student can have a GPA that is below 2.0, but can not have more than one ‘D’ or one ‘F’ grade. Any student that falls below this academic standard will not be allowed to access probation.
· A student can access a maximum of two probation periods during their high school years (9th, 10th, 11th, or 12th grade). A student can access his/her second probationary period if he/she successfully completes his/her first probationary period.
· The probationary periods cannot be used in back-to-back grading periods.
· A student that was unsuccessful in completing the criteria of their Academic Eligibility Plan must wait out five (5) quarters to access the second probation.
Incomplete grades must be changed to a letter grade before the student/athlete can be declared eligible. The letter grade will then be averaged with the student's other grades. The total must be at least a 2.0 GPA. Fall athletes will be held accountable for their grades during the previous Spring Semester. Intersession grades and other summer course work as approved by the superintendent or designee may be applied to fourth-quarter grades for determining eligibility.
If any of the foregoing is not completely understood, please contact the high school for further information. Sean Murphy, Athletic Director, can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (707) 437-7333 ext. 8027